Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Great Expectations

If you find yourself disappointed with others,
likelihood is you're expecting too much of them.

If you find yourself disappointed with yourself,
likelihood is you're not expecting enough...


Strange isn’t it? This is something which came to me tonight as I came home to a completely empty house (even the maids had gone out for a walk with our dogs). I figured that everyone would be home soon for the lovely looking/smelling spread of food sitting on the table so I went upstairs to my room to check FB and email and such… after an hour I come down stairs to find out where everyone was only to be told (by a very upset maid) that the family had decided to eat out (yes, after telling her that she should cook dinner…)

So there I found myself eating dinner alone feeling disappointed in my family on behalf of my maid and on behalf of myself. Usually it wouldn’t have bothered me as much (usually it wouldn’t have happened) but as my brother and his family is over for a short visit from Australia I was quite put out to have been left behind. And as my brother is a head chef at an exclusive restaurant my dear maid was feeling very put out after stressing over a meal that she was sure wouldn’t be good enough for him.

Then it happened (as it usually does when you having a peaceful shower and completely not expecting it) A little voice asked me… “Why are you disappointed? Who are you to be upset? Why do you expect so much?”
It was about then that I realised how selfish my thought had been… And I was faced with two reflections - one of the person I was becoming versus the person I could choose to be and the little voice reminded me that all I had to do was change my expectations – expect less of others and more of myself… Before you try changing someone else you should, first, always try to change yourself.

So here’s to stepping into the better reflection.
In the words of the late MJ:

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change.

No comments: